Wednesday, April 27, 2011

If you're not sure what that is...

...maybe you should just ask.

I don't get it. If you have a food aversion or allergy, shouldn't YOU be the one to double check the description of the menu item you're thinking of ordering?

The biggest culprit comes from our house salads, which have "prosciutto" listed as one of the ingredients. If you don't eat meat, or pork, and you aren't sure what "prosciutto" is....just ASK me. 
I promise I won't make fun of you.
In fact, I'm more likely to talk shit about you in the kitchen after I bring out the salad and you give me the "ew" face, telling me you thought maybe "prosciutto" was a kind of cheese.

Let me be clear. I don't eat pork. So I understand having to remove items. And that's why I totally understand a guest who asks me if our meat sauce, meatballs, or sausage are made with pork products...because I do it, too.

Another one of my favorite "we didn't know" is our dish called Chicken Saltimbocca. In the description, it says there is a layer of "prosciutto" on top of the chicken along with provolone. I can't tell you how many I've had to send back when the table cuts into the chicken and sees a bacon-like strip under the cheese.

"Well we didn't really read the description in the menu..."

No shit.

This little piggy is Italian.

4 comments:

  1. The kicker to me is that then they expect to not pay for it. If the menu says it is on there, it is your responsibility to read the menu. If you cannot read the menu, then you should say something before ordering it. The restaurant should not be forced to take a loss on the meal because the guest refused to read the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually my photographer friend of mine made it for me! Her website is in the corner...she's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahem.... you dont eat pork... unless it's in a mama d's meatball!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoever made your banner sure did have a great dinner that night! LOVE!

    And yes, ASK. And if they are a'feared of looking stupid by asking the order something else where ALL the ingredients are familiar.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...