Monday, April 18, 2011

The nod.

Is this a waitor? Or the Godfather?...The Nodfather!
God bless our managers. They are trying SO hard to make shift meetings interesting for us...

And yet, the topic last night was a selling technique we will call, "The Nod."
We sat around discussing how if you nod to your guests as you're describing a particular dish, they're more likely to bite. Apparently, this is real selling technique, but I couldn't help but laugh as I looked around the room and 15 servers and 3 managers were all "practicing" THE NOD!
We looked like a room full of bobbleheads.

To make it even more comical, the managers had us go around the room and individually practice selling our favorite item using the nod technique. Sooo creepy. 

But for the record, I was voted into the Top 3 to win free dinner for our nodding skills! YES! 

4 comments:

  1. The official name for this technique is the "Sullivan Nod". They used to make us use it when I was serving at the Black Eyed Pea. Even though I'm not a server anymore, I still find myself using almost subconsciously whenever I want someone to agree with me, haha. http://www.ehow.com/how_2203260_perform-sullivan-nod.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I couldn't remember the technical name to save my life! I have no doubts in its effectiveness, but it's still pretty damn funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that nodding required a special talent. Any pointers for the rest of us who aren't quite the Nod Aficionado that you are?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god thats so annoying!! I can remember having people serving me do that and thinking i wanted to slap them, but i always thought they were doing it by accident!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...