Friday, November 5, 2010

Pat-i-oooooooo!

I hope you got that Hook reference.

So I know I've been M.I.A. Sadly, it's because I hadn't really worked. Since Bloggiano's hired a million servers in anticipation of the busy holiday season, right now there's just too many of us for the amount of business we're getting. That means I had two shifts last week. And I was scheduled three this week (thank goodness I picked up a fourth). 


Today I got to work the patio at lunch. Gotta love November weather in California. I heard from one of the veteran servers that working the patio is a sign of being one of the better newbies. Even more exciting is that I got to share it with another newbie, instead of an oldie who'd probably take more tables than me.
For the first time, I felt like a server again. There's nothing like the rush of having 5 tables at once. Let's see, I need drinks on table 401, table 403's kids want ice cream to go, and 402, 404, and 503 are all leaving at the same time!! Where the heck is my busser?? Ahh! 


I also really enjoyed the patio because everyone on staff leaves you alone. I pretty much never saw another server unless I went to the kitchen, and I didn't need to clean everyone else's tables (and not benefit from it). I was back in the zone, and loving it. I even figured out that most people get confused walking into the restaurant and seeing the patio station before the host stand...which means I enticed a number of tables to the patio before they even had a shot with another server. Muahahaha! (That's my evil laugh. It sounds cooler in person, I swear.)

Sadly, the tips still kinda blow....I can't believe people can rationalize a $5 tip on $40, when they claim everything was perfect and amazing. I know it's not just me because everyone I've talked to says the same thing.

Happy Weekend to all my restaurant folk out there! 
Make that weekend cash! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...