Friday, November 5, 2010

The Verbal Tip.

After a long shift on the patio not making much money, I was happy that the bartender offered me one more table before I left.

The couple was great. My service was spot on: I got her two different tastes of wine to try. I modified her dish EXACTLY the way she wanted it. I refilled his lemonade before he asked. I made a personal connection and told them about my life aspirations.

As I dropped the check, the couple thanked me for MAKING their experience there. They said they felt like we'd all dined together, and they've never had a better time at Bloggiano's. Naturally, I got even more excited the bartender had given me the table. And the $26 PPA (per person average) didn't hurt either.

I'M GOING TO GET A HUGE TIP. 25%? 30%???

$10 on $54.

Toto, I don't think we're in Newport Beach anymore.


I know, I know, that's a good tip. But, the Verbal Tip is NOT money in my pocket. I'm glad you like me. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I'd rather have an extra $5. Sorry.

People: If you're going to tell your server you love them and had the best experience ever, maybe you should give them a little bit extra.

Thanks,
Your Server (that makes minimum wage plus tips)

1 comment:

  1. I wish I made minimum wage plus tips. I make $2.13 an hour plus tips and people still think it's okay to stiff me. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...